четверг, 13 октября 2011 г.

My memories of food

When I was growing up my mum did most of the cooking. I think she cooked very well. There were four of us at home- my father, my mother, my sister and me. My sister and I often helped my mum in the kitchen. All the work we divided in half. We washed the dishes on the queue, set the table, I used to go to a grocery store. Our family liked fried or roasted fish most of all. I think it's because my mum grew up on the seashore. She told me in her childhood she ate only fish and potatoes. But it was the real fresh fish as my dad was the fisherman. So I never liked meat and when I got older my mum used to cook a vegetarian meal for me. I think she was very patient to my preferences and that made her life rather difficult so she had to cook a different meal for me and for others.
Moreover, the second great cooker in my childhood was my great grand-mother. She come from Ukraine, and this country is famous for its cuisine. I never tasted such dishes like my great grandma cooked. The classics that she used to cook: home pasta with eggs, scrumptious vareniki with cherries and berries, potato pancakes. And still I can't forget the most delicious semolina porridge which I've ever tasted.
Our family couldn't afford to go to restaurants, but on Sundays we often gathered with our friends and went on a picnic to the forest. We roasted meat and vegetables and it was great. I think I have fine memories about food: it was healthy food without crisps and much chocolate. I guess good eating habits let us to be fit and happy and we can't worried about extra weight. Our health depends largely on what we ate in childhood. We are what we eat.

2 комментария:

  1. "vareniki with cherries and berries,", mmm, I also ate it in my childhood)

    ОтветитьУдалить
  2. That's true that fish is a very delicious and healthy product. I like Ukrainian cuisine too, for example, Ukrainian borsch.

    ОтветитьУдалить